Monday, January 7, 2013

Disciplining Children in America



The Au Pair Sis did a video clip and a blog on Disciplilng Children in America.  It's interesting to me because my mom and I were having a conversation about this not long ago.  As I've mentioned before, my mom is from Mexico.  She has been in the US for about 40 years, but still chuckles when mothers here (including my sisters and me) tell our children to look us in the eye when we are discipling them.  In Mexico that is very, very disrespectful.  When a child is being disciplined they are to look down, not at the adult disciplining them.  That is a sign of respect and submission. 

I guess this is a lesson to both us parents and au pairs--don't get offended or hurt when things are done differently.  Communication is key!  If you have questions or concerns about a discipline method or how the children/au pair are reacting, talk about it. It may just be a cultural difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment